The gutters on your home are one of the most important parts of the house to keep clean. If you don’t take care of them, they can cause major problems like water damage and mold growth. Luckily, cleaning them is easy with this handy guide!
So what will happen if you don’t clean your gutters? Well, that answer is pretty simple: You’ll end up with a dirty mess that could cost you time and money in repairs or replacements. It’s an easy thing to avoid by following these steps in today’s article. Now that you know what can happen if your gutters are not cleaned, let’s get started finding out how to clean them.
How to Clean Your Gutters DIY?
First, put on some old clothes because you are going to get dirty! You also want to make sure that it’s not wet or excessively windy outside since this will cause problems for you when climbing up and around the roof.
STEP 1: Remove The Gutter Guards
If you have leaf guards or screens on your gutters, the first step is to remove them. This will allow for a clear entry to clean out any clogs that may be stuck in there. If you have year round guards, just use a pair of pliers to remove them from the gutter itself. If they are removable, then take them off and set aside for now. Now you’re ready to start cleaning out those nasty clogged gutters!
STEP 2: Clean Out The Gutters
When emptying your rain gutters, pay attention to what’s going on with each section as you go down instead of trying to do it all at once. That way you can get a lot more clogs out with less hassle. Also, use a small shovel to scoop out any big chunks of dirt or leaves that are stuck in there. This will help prevent from having to stop and shake them out 5 times while cleaning the gutters!
STEP 3: Check The Downspouts
Once all of the cloggy bits have been removed from the gutters, it’s time to check downspouts. Before you go stormy-crazy and run to your local home improvement store for new ones, make sure your current spouts aren’t plugged. If they are, remove them and reattach them to make sure they’re not leaking anywhere along their length In most cases this is all that is needed to fix a leaky downspout.
STEP 4: Add Leaf Guards To Prevent Clogs In The Future
If you have had clogged gutters in the past, it may be time to invest in some leaf guards for your rain gutters. These will catch all of the leaves and debris before they make it down your downspouts and give you peace of mind when cleaning your gutter.
Main reasons – why you need to keep the gutters clean?
By leaving all of this mess in the gutters, you are putting yourself at risk for a lot of bad things. That’s why it’s so important to keep them clean and flowing!
• Mold growing inside your gutters can spread into your home, causing allergy problems and respiratory issues.
• Also leaves that stay in the gutters cause root rot which effects the structural integrity of your home. It can also weaken your roofing over time which will end up costing you a lot more money when the whole thing caves in!
• Clogged gutters make drainage difficult, which leads to puddles on your foundation. This leads to water erosion and soil loss from around your house. It will also damage any landscaping if left over time.
• Finally, it can lead to major structural problems throughout your roof which will cost you a lot of money. This is especially true if the problem goes unnoticed for too long since it may cause damage that needs repaired ASAP!
Hazards of Uncleaned Gutters
Gutters that have not been cleaned can lead to numerous health problems like the ones listed above. In addition, clogged gutters can lead to wood rot and insect infestation.
Insects which live in the organic debris found inside your rain gutters are a problem for your home as well as your health! They can multiply quickly and spread throughout your home if they find a way inside! This is why it’s so important to keep them clean out of not only good hygiene but also for the safety of you and your family! That’s all that there is to cleaning those bad boys out.
What Are The Benefits Of Hiring Professional Gutter Cleaners?
There are many benefits to hiring a professional gutter cleaning company.
- The major one is you will save time and money by not having to do it yourself. In fact, in most cases when things get really bad the only solution left is replacement. All of this can add up to hundreds of dollars! So it’s best going with a pro that has experience and knows how to handle these issues before they turn into big problems!
- Another great benefit for hiring a professional is that they know what products and equipment work best for your situation. This way there is less chance of damage during cleaning which could end up costing you even more money down the road if getting repairs done from an amateur’s “help”. They also have all of the proper tools and equipment needed to do the job right.
- Another neat benefit of hiring a professional is that they will clean the gutters of your neighbor’s house just as well as yours, which means less work for you!
Finally, if they are insured then there is no extra money you have to pay out of pocket just in case something goes wrong. This way everything stays nice and calm instead of stressful so everyone comes out ahead!
Thoughts to End On
A clogged rain gutter is something that you don’t want to deal with, however, it can happen to anyone so it’s best being prepared. Being prepared means having the right equipment and knowledge on how to properly clean your gutters. If you do not have this then it’s best hiring a professional. If you’re looking for a reliable company to help then please give us a call and we will be happy to assist you in any way! We’ll make it easier and less expensive in the long run!
We are one of San Francisco’s (Bay Area) oldest, largest, and most experienced professional house cleaning providers. Specializing in indoor air quality to improve and restore your home, apartment complex, business, or industrial plant as a safe-clean living space.
Address: 984 Howe Rd, Martinez, CA 94553, United States
Hours: Monday- Friday 9am–5pm
Saturday- Sunday Closed
Phone: +1 925-215-4603